Troubleshoot Outlook Cannot Connect to Server Error in an Efficient Way
The outlook is one of the premium information managers used all around the world because of its features and intuitive interface. Users worldwide use MS Outlook to fetch emails and send/receive significant personal or official documents. It has been the most admirable and trusted email partner for many people around because of prompt service. Besides emailing, what makes Outlook different is its ability to store notes, comprising a calendar and a journal to ease users’ daily chores and surf the web.
Despite loaded with several features, the users confront a big challenge when their Outlook cannot connect to server and doesn’t allow users to access their email account. However, Microsoft Outlook cannot connect to the server issue arises frequently, and it has no connection with the Outlook update. If you also confront a similar challenge, you will have to use a series of steps to fix the error.
What are the causes behind Outlook cannot connect to server?
Microsoft Outlook connects to the server periodically to fetch emails. It has an option to work offline, that gets the emails in local storage, thus you can see emails on your computer. Although, a failed server connection won’t let you use the offline option. Different causes disconnect Outlook from the server. The following are the key points which influence Outlook the most.
Poor network connection:
It is possibly the most possible cause and the most ignored one, causing Outlook to lose the server connection. Check your network connectivity whenever you first encounter an issue with the server. Restarting the router also fixes the issue effectively.
Corrupted Outlook account:
The next possible cause must be a corrupted Outlook account. The account issues won’t let you establish a connection with the server or create few other serious issues.
You may have enabled “Work Offline” mode:
Offline mode enables you to continue using Outlook without connecting to the internet. It fetches your emails in local storage and allows you view the email on your computer. If it’s enabled, it won’t allow you connect to the internet.
Corrupted Outlook files lead to an issue:
Another cause which disables the Outlook server connection is corrupted Outlook data files. It generally arises when Outlook cannot update the data because of a sudden shutdown.
Third-party add-Ins create trouble:
Simply like other Microsoft products, Outlook enables users to use third-party applications. These programs ocassionally make trouble like hampering the connection of Outlook with the server.
Outdated Outlook is not suitable for users:
Another most significant factor is an outdated Outlook application, that plays a culprit in server-related issues. Microsoft keeps releasing bug fixes in latest software. Upgrading Outlook to the newest version fixes numerous issues.
Corrupted installation of MS Office:
Outlook comes under Office Suite, that also comprises some other applications like Word, Excel, etc. If the installation is corrupt, then Outlook will most possibly be unable to connect to the internet.
Issue with your Computer:
Another not so popular yet non-ignorable reason is an error in your PC. To overcome such issues, you will need to power cycle the PC.
Solutions To Fix Outlook cannot connect to server Error
Here are the six useful tips to help you get rid of the problem and use Outlook to its fullest. Make sure to sign in as an administrator, and you must remember the login credentials you are using in Outlook.
Step 1. Guarantee the valid internet connection
- Connect another device to the similar internet network and open Outlook to verify the suitable operation.
- Open the browser, navigate to your email’s website, and recover the mails directly from there. If you are unable to do it, which denotes an issue with the server.
- Check whether you have accidentally connected to the public network. Switch yourself back to the private network as public networks have limited access and don’t enable few apps to function.
- Are you still facing a trouble? Now you must reset the router. Initially, obtain the IP address either from your router’s back or get it from the router’s website.
- Find the reset button at the back of the router, press it for six seconds until it gets off. It turns back on signifies the reset is finish.
- Then enter the configurations and check whether the problem fixes or not.
Step 2. Power cycle your computer to resolve the Outlook server connection issue
- Reboot your router and computer; if it doesn’t fix the problem, perform the below steps.
- Then turn off your router and computer.
- Detach the cables, press and hold the power button for two minutes.
- Now wait for the next 5 minutes.
- Connect the power source back to the router and computer.
- Connect your PC to the internet and check if it resolves the issue or not
Step 3. Disable the offline mode
- Initially, you will have to open the Outlook app on your computer.
- Tap the Send/Receive tab in the header section.
- Find the Work Offline option if it’s greyed which indicates offline mode is active.
- Tap the Work Offline button once to deactivate it.
In Offline mode, your PC does not connect to the server even if connected to the internet. Deactivating it fixes the issue.
Step 4. Repair your MS Outlook account
If your Outlook cannot connect to server is until now, you must try repairing your Outlook account. The account contains the entire information regarding the email address or servers which you have saved in the application. Follow the steps provided below.
- Open Outlook on your computer.
- Tap the File tab on the top of Outlook.
- Now you have to tap Info from the side console.
- Now select your account from the drop-down list.
- Tap Account and social network settings.
- Also, click Account Settings.
- Subsequently, choose the problematic email address.
- Tap the Repair option.
- The Repair account screen pop-upss; enter your details again, comprising password.
- Then click Next, and then Outlook will automatically try to re-establish the connection with servers.
- Confirm if repairing the Outlook fixes the problem or not.
Step 5. Disable the add-ins to resolve Outlook server error
- Open Outlook, click the File tab.
- Now choose Options and click Add-Ins from the left console.
- Tap the Go button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now you must uncheck all the Add-ins and click Ok.
- Then you can restart Outlook to save the settings.
Step 6. Repair the corrupted Outlook data file
- Initially, open the Outlook application.
- Then click the File tab > Info > Select your account.
- Also, click Account and social network settings.
- Now select the option Account Settings.
- Subsequently, go on to click Data files, choose the email account creating the problem.
- Select Open File Location.
- Now you must either rename the file or move it to some other location.
- Then reopen Outlook; it will automatically rebuild the corrupted data file.
Hopefully, you have succeeded in resolving the issue by following above six significant steps. If all of them do not work and still you are facing Outlook cannot connect to server, you must reinstall the Outlook using the product key. Additionally, you can talk to our MS Outlook Support experts at Uspcsolutions and take their help in resolving the problem.